World Tourism Day: What do we celebrate?24 September, 2021
The world’s most historic hotels7 October, 2021
They are known as the Oscars of Gastronomy. The World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards celebrated their 19th edition on October 5 in Belgium. Among the world’s 50 best restaurants in the world, there are six Spanish restaurants; two of them in the top 5. They are the Asador Etxebarri and Disfrutar Barcelona. Do you want to know all the details? Keep reading!
The world’s best restaurants
In 2021, the best restaurant in the world according to The World’s 50 Best Restaurants is the Noma restaurant (Copenhagen, Denmark) with three Michelin stars led by chef René Redzepi. It’s the fifth time that this restaurant has been crowned as the best restaurant in the world, after the editions of 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014.
Second place on the podium is also held by a Danish restaurant: Geranium led by the chef Rasmus Kofoed . The podium is completed by the Spanish restaurant Asador Etxebarri, in Atxondo, led by the chef Víctor Arguinzoniz. In addition to the bronze medal, Arguinzoniz has also won the Chef’s Choice Award, decided by the chefs.
Six Spanish restaurants among the 50 best in the world
In addition to Asador Etxebarri, Spain has more representatives on The World’s 50 Best Restaurants list. Specifically, Disfrutar Barcelona is in the fifth position in the ranking and has become the best-ranked restaurant in Barcelona.
Led by chefs Mateu Casañas, Oriol Castro and Eduard Xatruch, the Disfrutar restaurant has as a head chef a former EUHT StPOL student, Oscar Mayer. And this restaurant is one of the internship destinations of our students.
The Mugaritz Restaurant in San Sebastián is also among the best in the world. In fact, it has been considered the 14th best restaurant in the world. And it is closely followed by Elkano restaurant in Getaria, which is ranked 16th.
Chef Dabiz Muñoz, recently named the best chef in the world, has seen his restaurant DiverXo in Madrid appear for the first time on the list, directly occupying the position number 20.
The sixth Spanish restaurant to be listed among the 50 best restaurants in the world is Azurmendi by chef Eneko Atxa, with three Michelin stars. This restaurant is also one of the internhsip destination for our students of the Master in Culinary Arts and Kitchen Management.
The Olympus of the best restaurants
The Best of the Best group is formed of all the restaurants that have topped The World’s 50 Best Restaurants over its 18-year history. They are:
- El Bulli (Roses, Spain) by xef Ferran Adrià, voted best restaurant in the world in 2022, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.
- El Celler de Can Roca (Girona, Spain) by the Roca brothers; voted the best restaurant in the world in 2013 and 2015 and awarded with The World’s Best Pastry Chef in 2014 to Jordi Roca.
- Mirazur (Menton, France) by chef Mauro Colagreco. Considered the best restaurant in the world in 2019.
- Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy) by chef Massimo Bottura voted the best restaurant in the world in 2016 and 2018.
- Eleven Madison Park (New York, USA) by chef Daniel Humm, best restaurant in the world in 2017.
- The French Laundry (Yountville, USA) by chef Thomas Keller. It was number 1 in The World’s 50 Best Restaurants in 2003 and 2004.
- The Fat Duck (Bray, UK), lead by the chef Heston Blumenthal, was ranked as the best restaurant in the world in 2005.
- Noma (Copenaghen, Denmark) and chef René Redzepi have been ranked #1 in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2021.
The best chefs in the world, at EUHT StPOL
From EUHT StPOL we are proud to to say that five number 1 in The World’s 50 Best Restaurants have been at EUHT StPOL. Chef Mauro Colagreco from the Mirazur restaurant, Massimo Bottura from the Osteria Francescana, Ferran Adrià from El Bulli , Joan Roca from El Celler de Can Roca and René Redzepi from the Noma restaurant have attended the EUHT StPOL facilities on different occasions to give a masterclass, preside over the jury of the Culinary Contest or participate in an international event.
In addition to the chefs of the Best of the Best restaurants, EUHT StPOL has also collaborated with chefs from different restaurants that appear on The World’s 50 Best Restaurants list: Andoni Luis Aduriz from the Mugaritz restaurant, Alain Ducasse from the homonymous restaurant in Paris and the three chefs of Disfrutar Barcelona, Oriol Castro, Mateu Casañas and Eduard Xatruch.
The connection with these restaurants goes further as many of them host trainees and some end up becoming part of their teams.
Check here the internship destination of our students.
The list of the 50 best restaurants in the world
- Noma, Copenhague (Denmark) BEST RESTAURANT IN EUROPE and BEST RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD
- Geranium, Copenhague (Denmark)
- Asador Extebarri, Atxondo (Spain)
- Central, Lima (Perú) BEST RESTAURANT IN SOUTH AMERICA
- Disfrutar, Barcelona (Spain)
- Frantzén, Estocolmo (Sweden)
- Maido, Lima (Peru)
- Odette, Singapur BEST RESTAURANT IN ASIA
- Pujol, Ciudad de México (México) BEST RESTAURANT IN NORTH AMERICA
- The Chairman, Hong Kong (China) HIGHEST CLIMBER AWARD
- Den, Tokio (Japan)
- Steirereck, Viena (Austria)
- Don Julio, Buenos Aires (Argentina)
- Mugaritz, San Sebastián (Spain)
- Lido 84, Gardone Riviera (Italia) HIGHEST NEW ENTRY
- Elkano, Getaria (Spain)
- A Casa do Porco, San Paolo (Brazil)
- Piazza Duomo, Alba (Italy)
- Narisawa, Tokio (Japan)
- DiverXO, Madrid (Spain) NEW ENTRY
- Hiša Franko, Kobarid (Slovenia)
- Cosme, New York (USA)
- Arpége, París (France)
- Septime, París (France)
- White Rabbit, Mosca (Russia)
- Le Calandre, Rubano (Italy)
- Quintonil, Ciudad de México (México)
- Benu, San Francisco (USA)
- Reale, Castel di Sangro (Italy)
- Twins Garden, Moscú (Russia)
- Restaurant Tim Raue, Berlín (Germany)
- The Clove Club, Londres (United Kingdom)
- Lyle’s, Londres (United Kingdom)
- Burnt Ends, Singapur NEW ENTRY
- Ultraviolet, Shanghái (China)
- Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem (Belgium)
- Singlethread, Healdsburg (California) NEW ENTRY
- Boragó, Santiago (Chile)
- Florilège, Tokio (Japan)
- Sühring, Bangkok (Thailand)
- Alléno Paris at Pavillon Ledoyen, París (France)
- Belcanto, Lisboa (Portugal)
- Atomix, Nueva York (USA)
- Le Bernardin, Nueva York (USA)
- Nobelhart & Schmutzig, Berlín (Germany) NEW ENTRY
- Leo, Bogotá (Colombia)
- Maaemo, Oslo (Norway)
- Atelier Crenn, San Francisco (USA)
- Azurmendi, Larrabetzu (Spain)
- Wolfgat, Paternoster (South Africa) NEW ENTRY – BEST RESTAURANT IN AFRICA